We are friends, rivals and collaborators. We follow our hearts, roll up our sleeves and get shit done.
Over the course of the year, we sought out and interviewed an eclectic mix of designers who have had significant impact on us—in hopes that their passion, perseverance, humility and bravery will enable you to see Chicago the way that we see it. Our intent is not to chronicle the history of design in Chicago, but to celebrate what makes our community different than any other.
Richard Wright of Wright Auction House
Cheryl Towler Weese of Studio Blue
Max Temkin and Emily Haasch of Cards Against Humanity
Nick Butcher and Nadine Nakanishi of Sonnenzimmer
Curt Schreiber of VSA Partners
Cody Hudson of Struggle Inc.
Bart Crosby of Crosby Associates
Alisa Wolfson of Leo Burnett
Art Paul of Playboy
Linsey Burritt and Crystal Hodges of INDO
John Massey of John Massey, Inc.
Elaine Chernov, Jana Kinsman, Victoria Pater, Jennifer Sisson and Katherine Walker of Quite Strong
Vijay Kumar of IIT Institute of Design
Zoë Ryan of the Art Institute of Chicago
Mig Reyes of Basecamp
This is Chicago is only $20.
Proceeds support AIGA Chicago.
Interviews by Patrick Sisson.
Designed by VSA Partners.
- Chicago Design Museum
- Great Ideas of Humanity
- Chicago Design Market, Block 37
- What’s Worth Preserving?
- O’ Little Town of Bethlehem, Palestine
- Designing Unexpected Cultural Experiences
- Clutch Gallery Residency
- Dan Friedman, Soho House Chicago
- Stage Design, Chicago Ideas Week
- The Shape of Things to Come, Threadless
- Unfolded: Director’s Letter + Paul J. Smith Interview
- Vol 2.0–2.9, Iterative Work
- Vol 1.0–1.1, Iterative Work
- You Are Beautiful New Years Hotline
- Starts/Speculations: Director’s Letter
- This is Chicago
- Blackbox Gallery, Some Office
- The Design Pack, Cards Against Humanity
- Richard Hunt, Chicago Cultural Center
- Slide Lecture Flyer, Ed Fella
- Around the Clock Identity Design
- Interaction: Clock for Identity Designers, ASU